Rep. Ellison Address to 2017 National Oromo Leadership Convention.
For Immediate Release
March 14, 2017
The Oromo Leadership Convention (OLC) held its second meeting in the City of Washington, District of Columbia, March 10 - 12, 2017. The Convention was opened with the blessing of representatives of the main religious groups in Oromo society and concluded after successfully deliberating on the current situation in Oromia and passing landmark resolutions that affirm the unity of all Oromo and underscore the need to strengthen institutions of democracy.
This Convention was attended by over 600 religious, civic and community leaders from across North America and other parts of the world, political organizations, professional and civil societies, artists, businessmen, scholars, veterans of the struggle and Oromo notables who have contributed to the advancement of the Oromo cause in their respective fields.
Considering the gravity of the deteriorating situation in Oromia and the tremendous suffering that the state of emergency has imposed on our people, the Convention focused on taking action.
1. Based on the proposal recommended by the Task Force on Humanitarian Assistance, the Convention established a non-governmental organization known as HIRPHA International (Humanitarian Initiative to Relieve the Plight in the Horn of Africa) to assist in the effort deliver coordinated and efficient aid to the victims of the Ethiopian government.
2. Accepting the proposal of the Task Force on Diplomacy and Advocacy, the Convention established a research and policy center that will assist the efforts to conduct diplomatic action in a strategic and coordinated manner with the view to assisting the struggle to end tyrannical rule in Ethiopia. This center will be named Organized Diplomacy and Advocacy Action in the Horn of Africa (ODAAHA).
3. Recognizing that the Task Force of Experts presented revised documents known as the Declaration of Oromo Unity and National Aspirations and Oromo Charter of Freedom, Justice, Dignity and Human Rights reflect the views of the delegates regarding the foundation of Oromo unity and a common ground for political action, the Convention adopted the revised documents as its official documents.
4. Recognizing that the need for further discussions to internalize the contents of these documents, the Convention recommended them to Oromo communities around the world for studying and discussions. The Task Force of Experts was named as a Commission of Experts to spearhead the effort.
Considering that the Oromo struggle needs robust, functioning and autonomous democratic and civil society institutions, the Convention discussed new agendas proposed by the OLC Executive Committee. The new agenda emphasized the need for enhancing women’s participation and youth engagement in the Oromo nation’s future and initiated an effort to create professional associations.
After thoroughly discussing two concept papers, the delegates recommended launching a community-wide conversation with a view of taking concrete steps to enhance women and youth participation in Oromo affairs within a reasonable period.
Recognizing the demand of the Oromo people, the Convention stressed the importance of the unity of purpose among Oromo political organizations for the success of our people’s struggle. The participants recommended to all political parties to continue to work together to find ways to mobilize our people for the bitter struggle ahead and redouble efforts to expand the arena of interparty collaboration, build democratic institutions, and fortify self-rule capabilities.
Recognizing the gravity of the time, Convention participants decided to increase their support for the Oromo struggle and to join hands in solidarity with all freedom loving peoples to fight against the repressive TPLF regime. In view of the continued suffering of our people, the Convention, once again, condemns in the strongest of terms the continued killings, mass incarcerations, enforced disappearances, and persecution of Oromo. The delegates also demanded an immediate end to the State of Emergency that has made life impossible for our compatriots.
Concerned with the continued impunity of the Ethiopian regime, the Convention, once again, calls upon the international community to live up to its commitment not to “never again” allow mass killings from occurring again by demanding the establishment of an independent and thorough investigation into the mass killings, especially at the Irreecha festival on October 2, 2016, and the other crimes perpetrated by Ethiopian security forces against innocent people.
Finally, the Oromo Leadership Convention extends its call to all peoples in Ethiopia to redouble their efforts to end totalitarian rule in the country.
March 12, 2017
City of WASHINGTON, District of Columbia
Bayii battalaaf kann Oolu
YAA’II HOOGGANSA OROMOO ISA LAMMAFFAA
Yaa’iin Hooggansa Oromoo (YHO) seena-qabeessa ta’e Sadaasa 11-13, 2016 Magaalaa Atlaantaa, Joorjiyaa keessatti, erga xumuramee as haalli Oromiyaa keessa jiru daran hammaateera. Mootummaan Itiyoophiyaa humna waraana isaa uummata irratti bobbaasee jira. Lammiileen kuma hedduutti lakkaawwaman gara mooraa waraanaatti guuramaniiru, dhibbootaan kan lakkaawwaman ajjeefamaniiru, akkasumas achi buuteen isaanii kan dhabame hedduudha. Mootummaan Labsii Yeroo Hatattamaa labse hojjii irra oolfchufi baasii isaa dadhabuudhaan loltoonni namoota irra qabeenya isaanii akka saamaniif aangesseera.
Haalli hammaataan kun akkaataa itti diyaaspoporaan qabsoo biyya keessa gargaaruu danda’u irratti hojii qabatamaan akka hojjetuuf barbaachiseera. Yaa’iin YHO inni 2ffaa ammaa kun yaadawwan taask-foorsiin garagaraa dhiyeessan yaada keessa galchuudhaan hojiitti jijjiiruuf dhimmama. Hojiin keenya hamma akka ariifachiisaa ta’ee fi qormaataan guutuu ta’e ilaacha keessa galchuudhaan YHO irra deebi’anii waamuun hojmaata bira darbamuu hindandeenye ta’eera. Ittigaafatamummaa jiru kana irraan kan ka’e Koreen Qindeessituu YHO walga’ii isa itti aanuu Bitootessa 10-12, 2017 Magaalaa Washiingten keessatti adeemsisuuf murteesseera.
Hordoffii fi Tarkaanfii
Yaa’iin kun task-foorsii gara garaa Atlaantaatti dhaabe irraa gabaasa fudhachuudhaan yaadawwan raawwii isaan dhiyeessan hojii irra ni oolcha. Haaluma kanaan Yaa’iin Washiingten yaada bu’uursaa task-foorsii sadeen irraa dhiyaatan hojii irra oolchuuf tarkaanfii fudhata. Yaa’iin Washiingten tarkaanfiiwwan armaan gadii fudhata jedhamee eegama:
1. Akkaataa itti sonawwan bu’uuraa Labsiin Mirkanneeffannaa Seerrata Tokkummaa Oromoo fi Walta’iinsa Biyyoolessaa Mirgoota Oromoo keessatti eeraman hawaasota Oromootiin hubatamanii hojii, dubbii fi waltumsa isaanii gaggeessan irratti murtii dabarsa.
2. Chaartara Biyyoolessaa Walbummaa, Haqaa fi Mirga Namoomaa Oromoo fooyyeffamee dhiyaatuuf fudhatee sonawwan dookumantii kana irratti hundaawun mooraa siyaasa Oromoo dangeesuun paartileen siyaasaa Oroomo kan keessattii yaada isaanii, ergama, tarsiimoo, fi xiyyeeffannaa isaanii ibsatantaasisee mirkaneessa.
3. Karoora hojii task-foorsii Diplomaasii Qindaawaa Oromoo, fi Tarkaanfii Birmannaa Namoomaa simachuudhaan bakka barbaachisetti fooyyessee, hojii irra akka oolan murteesa.
Yaa’iin Atlaantaa waa’ee tokkumma jabeesuu ture. Yaa’iin Washiingten immoo ijaaramaa fi cimina dhaabbilee siivikii fi ogummaa adda adaa Oromoof waltajjii irraa si’eessituu ta’ee tajaajila. Yaa’iin kun waa’ee tokkummaa ijaaruu mata-duree fi seerrata gaggeessituu akka ta’uuf iddoo gudda kennee hojjeta.
- Hirmaannaa Dubartootaa Guddisuu: Tokkummaa ijaaruu keessatti hojiin guddaan tokko hirmaanna dubartoonni Oromoo hawaasa keessa qaban guddisuudha. Hirmaannaa guutuu, gumaachaa fi hooggansa dubartootaa malee abdiin sabni Oromoo dimokraasii fi nageenya amansiisaa uummachuuf qabu fiixaan ba’uu hindanda’u. Yaa’iin Washiingten walabummaa dubartootaa, mirgaa fi hirmaannaa isaanii olkaasuu irratti jabinaan ofkennee hojjeta.
- Dargaggoo Oromoo Aangessuu: Dargaggoonni egeree uummata tokkoo keessatti iddoo guddaa qabu. Dargaggoonni misoomaaf humna guddaa ta’uun isaanii, jijjiirama hawaasummaafis murteessoo ta’uun isaanii, guddina diinagdee fi dagaagina teeknoloojiifis murteessoo ta’uun isaanii yeroo dheeraadhaaf waan itti amanamaa dhufedha. Yaa’iin kun carraa dargaggoonnii jireenya siyaasaa, diinagee fi aadaa isaan hawaasa Oromoo keessatti qabaatan guddisuuf karoora hojii ni baasa.
- Mul’ata Hawaasa Gamtaan Jiireenyaa. Sabni Oromoo ijaarsa hawaasummaa garagarummaa umurii, qomoo, saala, amantaa fi naannoof beekamtii kennu qaba. Sabni Oromoo tokkummaa qabaachuun isaa akkuma jirutti ta’ee gareewwan adda adaa akka sabicha keessa jiran ni beekma. Jireenya hawaasa walbummaa fi iftoominaa qabuu, akkasumas kan gamtaan jiraatu ta’uuf hojii tarkaanfii barbaachisu fudhachuu eegaluu qabna. Aadaa gaamtaan jiraachuu kan garaagarumaa kabaju, waldanda’uu fi sirnaan maree gochuu kan of keessa qabu ijaaruun dirqama. Yaa’iin Washiingten haala saba Oromoo ilaalcha keessa galchee maree biyyoolessaa eegaluuf akeekkatee, paartileen siyaasaa Oromoo garagarummaa siyaassaa jiraatuyuu moora siyasaa Oromo tokkome ijaaruuf hundi irratti hirmaatu jedhee eega.
Dookumantoota Bayii Yaa’ichaa
Yaa’iin Washiingten gabaasa Taask-foorsiin Atlaantaatti hundeeffaman garagaraa isaaf dhiyeessu irratti hundaa’ee hojii isaa hojjeta. Hirmaattonni Yaa’ichaas dookumantoota kana ilaalanii wantoota fooyyeesuufi yaada ni kennu, hojii irra oolchuufis murtii nidabrsu. Kana malees hirmaattonni jabinoota saba keenya keessa jiranii fi laafina adda baafachuudhaan wantoota tokkummaa oromoo deebisanii ijaaruuf gufuu ta’uu malaniif fala nibarbaadu.
Yaa’iin Hoggansaa kun Magaalaa Washiingten, DC keessatti, Bitootessa 10-12, 2017 walgaha.
Koree Qindeessituu Yaa’ii Hooggansa Oromoo
For Immediate Release
THE SECOND OROMO LEADERSHIP CONVENTION
In the two months since the historic Oromo Leadership Convention (OLC), held in Atlanta, Georgia, November 11 - 13, 2016, the situation in Oromia has deteriorated precipitately. The Ethiopian government has unleashed the full array and fury of its security forces against Oromos. Several thousand innocent citizens have been herded to military concentration camps, hundreds gunned down and numerous people subjected to enforced disappearances. Unable to cover the mounting expenses of enforcing the State of Emergency it promulgated on October 9, 2016, the regime has essentially legalized confiscation of private assets and looting by soldiers.
The grave situation calls for taking concrete measures to intensify diaspora support for the struggle at home. The Houston Convention will follow up on the work of the task forces it had established with a view to implementing their recommendations. In light of the urgency of our task and the enormity of our challenges, it has become an inescapable imperative to re-convene the OLC. With these responsibilities, the OLC Coordinating Committee has decided to hold the next convention from March 10-12, 2017.
FOLLOW UP AND ACTION
The Convention will receive reports from the task forces it created at the Atlanta Convention and act on their recommendations. Accordingly, the Houston Convention expects to take measures to implement the proposals of the three task forces. The Second Convention expects to take the following actions.
1. Determine how the core values outlined in the Declaration Affirming Principles of Oromo Unity and a National Consensus on Oromo Rights will be internalized and practiced by Oromo communities as precepts that govern Oromo conducts, conversations, and cooperation.
2. Consider the revised Oromo National Charter of Freedom, Justice and Human Rights and endorse it as a document defining fundamental Oromo political values and the broader contours of Oromo political arena in which political parties express ideas, missions, strategies, priorities and values.
3. Receive the action plans of the task forces on Oromo Coordinated Diplomacy and Oromo Humanitarian Action and the Strategic and Coordinated Diplomacy, improve where necessary and authorize the implementation of the proposed action plans.
The Atlanta Convection was about strengthening unity (tokkummaa jabeessuu). The Second Convention will serve as a platform for providing incentives and impetus for building and rebuilding Oromo civic and professional organizations. the next convention will give prominence to the theme of organizing for marching forward with tokkummaa ijaaruu or building unity as its theme and organizing principle.
- Enhancing Women’s Participation: An important aspect of rebuilding unity is to increase the participation women in Oromo public affairs. Our hope for democracy, sustainable development and stable peace cannot be complete without the full participation, contribution and leadership of women in all areas of our public life. The Second Convention will deliberate on and recommit to working tirelessly to uphold women’s freedoms and rights and expand their participation.
- Empowering Oromo Youth: Young people play a vital role in the future of a society. It has long been recognized that young people are a major human resource for development and key agents for social change, economic growth and technological innovation. The Convention will devise a plan of action to increase opportunities to promote youth participation in the political, economic and cultural life of Oromo society.
- Envisioning a Pluralistic Society: Oromo is one nation with a social organization that recognizes differences in age, kinship, gender, religion and region. We recognize that the unified Oromo nation contains diverse groupings. We must take steps to begin to live as a free, open and pluralistic society and practice a culture of pluralism which respects the values of diversity, tolerance, commitment and communication. The second Convention envisages kicking off a national dialogue on pluralism in the Oromo context and expects all Oromo political parties to participate in the worthy endeavor of building a pluralist political culture.
The Second Convention will deliberate on the reports of the task forces it created at the Atlanta Convention. At delegates will consider the documents, amend the propositions, provide recommendations, and make decisions of implementation. The delegates will also tackle the challenges of rebuilding unity fortifying the strengths and seeking solutions to the deficiencies of our society.
The leadership convention will take place from March 10-12, 2017 .
The Oromo Leadership Convention Coordinating Committee